The Nationals. For Regional NSW.
You are here: Home : Media Releases

Media Releases

MORE THAN $1 BILLION FOR OUR STATES DROUGHT STRICKEN FARMERS

Monday, July 30, 2018

Member for Dubbo Troy Grant has today welcomed the NSW Government’s $500 million Emergency Drought Relief Package, which will help farmers right across the region.

Mr Grant said he had listened to local farmers and had fed the information and advice he received back into cabinet.

“This is the land of drought and flooding rains, and sadly this drought is taking its toll with many farmers and rural communities under extreme financial and emotional pressure.”

The package announced today takes the Government’s drought support to more than $1 billion, with $584 million announced in June 2018.

With 99 per cent of the state now in drought and farmers facing one of the driest winters on record, we know this package is essential not just for our farmers but the continued productivity of our regional communities. 

Mr Grant said the severity of the drought across the state has resulted in failing crops, drastic water shortages and a diminishing supply of fodder to sustain livestock.

“A major feature of this package is the introduction of transport subsidies, this measure recognises the fact that in many areas people have been forced to cart fodder because the local supply is drying up,” Mr Grant said.

“We will also backdate this measure to earlier in the year when we began to see conditions deteriorate.

“As part of the emergency funding, waivers will apply on Local Land Services annual rates, fixed charges on water licences, registration costs for class 1 agricultural vehicles and interest for existing Farm Innovation Fund loans.”

“I still encourage people to access the Drought Assistance Loans which have now totalled more than $14 million in applications.”

The Emergency Relief Package provides key support in priority areas including:

  • Drought Transport Subsidies; (Subsidies will be back-dated to include an additional prorated amount for expenses incurred in the previous six months. Up to 50% of the full cost of transporting fodder, livestock to agistment, slaughter, sale and water for stock will be made available to eligible farmers.)
  • Waived Local Land Services annual rates, fixed water charges in rural and regional areas, as well as class 1 agricultural vehicle registration;
  • Support services including counselling and mental health;
  • Community assistance including water cartage and drought-related road infrastructure improvements;
  • Animal welfare and stock disposal.

The Government will also allocate an additional $150 million to the Farm Innovation Fund, reflecting significant uptake by farmers across the State.

The NSW Rural Assistance Authority will begin processing applications from Monday August 6. For more information on the NSW Government’s emergency drought relief package visit www.droughthub.nsw.gov.au.

RETIREMENT STATEMENT

Thursday, July 12, 2018


It has been an incredible honour to be the voice of the Dubbo electorate in the NSW Parliament.

I entered State Parliament in 2011, and since then, I’ve felt privileged fighting for a better deal for our region. I’ve been focused on making sure our area, which was previously out of sight and mostly out of mind, became a priority for investment. I remain focused on continuing to bring record investment to our communities until the next election.

The Dubbo electorate is a standout example of a thriving regional area thanks to our diverse economy, transport hub, tourism, strong agricultural sector and salt of the earth people. I might be biased, but it is truly one of the best places to live in NSW, if not Australia.

Our community has seen unprecedented investment in local infrastructure and services, including hospital redevelopments, road upgrades and education spending.  I have worked tirelessly since my first day in the job to transform our region and I feel enormously humbled and grateful for having been given the opportunity at two state elections.

Our community is a regional economic powerhouse, which is something that we can all be proud of and benefit from.

Due to our success working together during my time in parliament, we have secured over $1 billion for the Dubbo electorate in key programs and projects, in addition to core government funding.

I have never taken the confidence the people of the Dubbo electorate have placed in me for granted and I’m proud of the great wins we’ve secured. To achieve these results, I have put my heart and soul into the role and worked my guts out for the area. The job has come at enormous personal cost. I’ve always given the role my all - 7 days a week over the last 8 years, with the same honesty, hard work and integrity as I did as a police officer for 22 years.

I’m not retiring from state politics because of another job or scandal, I have come to the realisation that after 30 years in service to my community, I can no longer give the role my all, and I am being honest with the electorate. I do not have the energy needed to work at the level required to secure the electorate’s ongoing success for another four years. I’m not one to coast along or simply occupy such a vital position in the community. It’s not in my nature or character to be elected for four years and take the position for granted.

The next member will need to give their all, make significant sacrifices and have the ability to form strong relationships with key decision makers to ensure the electorate’s success. My retirement from politics will allow me to pursue new opportunities and allow me to spend more time with my family during this important time in their lives. I cannot thank my family enough for allowing me to serve and I’ll be forever grateful for their love, support and sacrifice.

I want to thank my amazing local supporters, branch members, my staff, government agencies and the broader community for all their support since I left my career in the NSW Police force to campaign for the seat of Dubbo in Parliament. I am truly grateful.

$70 MILLION MUDGEE HEALTH SERVICE UNDERWAY

Monday, July 02, 2018


Construction of the new Mudgee Health Service is underway, which will deliver a brand new state-of-the-art hospital and community health services under the one roof.

Premier Gladys Berejiklian and Member for Dubbo Troy Grant today turned the first sod at the site to mark the start of construction for the new $70.2 million facility.

Ms Berejiklian said the project was an important investment in the future health and wellbeing of the people in Mudgee and surrounding communities.

“Our investment in Mudgee Health Service will ensure these facilities continue to provide critical services for the growing population here in Mudgee,” Ms Berejiklian said.

Mr Grant said he was delighted to see the progress on the hospital project, which had involved a lot of local consultation.

“I’d like to acknowledge the efforts of the Western NSW Local Health District and Health Infrastructure, Mudgee hospital staff and the many other local groups and organisations who have worked on the planning for the new facility,” Mr Grant said.

“It’s been a great community effort and has received strong support from the people of Mudgee.”

The new hospital will offer a range of services including emergency care, general medical and surgery, maternity, ambulatory care, dental, renal dialysis and oncology.

The new facility will be built in stages, on the existing hospital site, with all current services continuing to operate throughout the redevelopment.

Early works include site preparation, demolition of existing structures and construction of temporary accommodation for a range of health services. Main works construction will commence following planning approval.

For more information: www.wnswlhd.health.nsw.gov.au/our-organisation/our-initiatives/building-projects/mudgee-hospital-redevelopment

NARROMINE SHIRE COUNCIL TO SCOPE TOMINGLEY-EUMUNGERIE ROAD UPGRADE

Monday, July 02, 2018

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian and Member for Dubbo Troy Grant presented Narromine Shire Mayor Craig Davies with a cheque for $25,000 today, with the funds to go towards a scoping study into the upgrade of the Tomingley to Eumungerie road.

The scoping study will also help to inform council and the Orana Joint organisation more widely on future feasibility works for potential transport solutions.

Narromine Shire Council has been investigating options around the potential upgrade of the Tomingley to Eumungerie road for several years. The road is increasingly used by freight operators and heavy vehicles seeking to divert off the Newell Highway to avoid congestion in Dubbo utilising this flatter and quicker route.

Mr Grant said that this road upgrade would improve transport and freight efficiency in and out of Narromine while also providing a heavy vehicle ring road option for the region, bypassing Dubbo.

“This potential road upgrade would be of great benefit to the Narromine Shire and the Orana Region, improving freight movement and efficiency, access to the shire and will also help to improve road safety,”

“The investment would complement upgrades being undertaken on the Newell, Golden and Mitchell highways in the region and is in line with the State freight strategy.” Mr Grant said.

Mayor of Narromine Craig Davies is delighted that the significance of this important thoroughfare has now been recognised.

“This $25,000 grant will contribute to a study of the Tomingley to Eumungerie road to better understand the amount of freight utilising the road, the potential economic benefits the upgrade would provide and look at growth in traffic volumes.” Mr Davies said.

“Future upgrades of this road corridor will reduce travel times, reduce maintenance costs and fuel consumption for users while aligning with the inland rail route and decreasing congestion in around Dubbo.”

Mr Grant said this road upgrade project would create a natural bypass of Dubbo.

“Not all heavy vehicles travelling the length of the Newell need to stop in Dubbo, this upgrade has the potential to move some of this heavy traffic away from Dubbo, without the significant cost of constructing a new ring road elsewhere also avoiding costly and lengthy land acquisition processes and disruption to lives and livelihoods.” Mr Grant said.

DUBBO HOSPITAL'S MAJOR TRANSFORMATION ENTERS FINAL PHASE OF CONSTRUCTION

Monday, July 02, 2018


World-class health care for the people of Western NSW has reached another milestone with a sod turn for the final phase of construction of Dubbo Hospital’s redevelopment.

Premier Gladys Berejiklian and Member for Dubbo Troy Grant were on hand today to turn the first sod on the final stages of the $150 million redevelopment.

The start of works for the new three-storey clinical services building was followed by the unveiling of designs for the $35 million Western Cancer Centre, which will provide comprehensive cancer diagnostic and treatment services at the hospital.

“The NSW Government has invested nearly $250 million in the major expansion and upgrade of Dubbo Hospital to give the people of Western NSW access to world-class health care closer to home,” Ms Berejiklian said.

“Dubbo Hospital is one of the major regional referral health services in NSW, and this major expansion and upgrade of services will ensure it can provide the very best care to local communities for decades to come.”

Dubbo Hospital’s transformation has included the opening of a new clinical services building as part of Stages 1 and 2 in late 2015, and more recently, a new 34-bed surgical unit, which opened in March this year.

As part of the final stages, the redevelopment of Dubbo Hospital will include:

  • A new emergency department and short stay unit
  • A new medical imaging unit
  • A new critical care floor comprising of:
    • Coronary care/stroke unit
    • Intensive care unit
    • Cardiac catheter laboratory
  • A new ambulatory care unit; and
  • A new main entry, drop off zone and car parking; and
  • A new and expanded renal unit will also be delivered as part of Stages 3 and 4

Mr Grant said the new facilities at Dubbo Hospital would help attract and retain highly-skilled health professionals in Dubbo.

“It will provide more training and education opportunities for our valued health staff and bring new talented staff in here for the Dubbo,” Mr Grant said.

Construction of the Western Cancer Centre Dubbo will occur in parallel with Stage 4 and will include 16 chemotherapy spaces, a bunker for radiation treatment and a PET CT scanner for cancer diagnostics.

The Federal Government committed $25 million towards the Western Cancer Centre.

Member for Parkes Mark Coulton said the new Cancer Centre would significantly improve health outcomes and quality of life for cancer patients living in rural and remote areas of Western NSW.

“Previously these patients were often required to travel large distances to Orange or Sydney for their treatment,” he said.

Construction of Stage 4 is scheduled for completion in 2021.

The NSW Government is investing more than $2.3 billion in capital works funding in the 2018 Budget to continue building and redeveloping hospitals, health facilities and ambulance stations, as part of a record $8 billion investment over the next four years.


Recent Posts


Tags

Parkes Mining Mudgee Crown Land Reserves Men's Sheds Christmas Nurses funding seniors Budget Beat the heat Tullamore Hangliding championships Bridges for the Bush Cabonne Qantas Social Housing Dubbo Macquarie Bushcare Museum Graffiti Education Property developers Strategic Land Use NDIS Olympic tickets Volunteer Catholic Schools Cookamidgera Police Community State Infrastructure Strategy Seniors grants Health Transport Grants new police recruits Nationals Companion Animals Taskforce Hospitals Parliament House Community Building Partnerships regional economy Housing Barden Park roads Charity and fundraising Students PSA Cobbora Mine Marie Maguire Dubbo City Council Local Land Services Unions Farming Fire Services Levy Animals Macquarie River Electricity prices London Forbes Belinda Strahorn Tony McGrane Way Community Leaders Breakfast Parkes, Forbes Flood Aboriginal Robyn Parker State Emergency Services (SES) John Robertson Harris Farm Young Nationals Community Cabinet Apollo Estate NSW Government Food NSW National's Crown Lands Narromine Fair Trading Pauline McAllister Independant Schools Carbon Farming Peak Hill Showground NSW Premier Mental Health Safe driving comunity transport Ballimore NILS Trangie Catchment Management Authority Forbes and Parkes Hospital projects Art Prize NSW Alcohol CEO Sport Carbon Tax Cultural Heritage School suspensions Brie Colley Dubbo Wongarbon Women Community Grants Bushland Environment Elvis Council WRAS Waste management Murray Darling Basin Plan transport

Archive

Subscribe  RSS

Back to Top

Home
About Troy
The Nationals
News
Follow
Contact
  • 1/18 Talbragar Street, PO Box 1327
  • Dubbo NSW 2830
  • P: +61 6882 3577
  • F: +61 6882 3689